Friday 10 August 2012

The Difference Between Liking Something And It Being Of High Quality

(And Vice Versa)

One of biggest pet peeves is when people say something like "This song is SO good!" when, in fact, what they actually mean is "I really LIKE this song!". Do you see the difference? The very nature of language at the minute, especially with our modern generation, is the assumption that the liking of something automatically implies quality.
Adam Richman - Man V Food

This is incorrect.

One of the most redeeming features of people, I've found, is when they can recognise, and accept, the difference here. For instance, I enjoy watching Man V. Food from time to time, I find it highly entertaining, yet I wouldn't say it was "great" or "good" or even "extremely well made television" - I know it's pretty crap, and in essence, pretty horrible, but I enjoy it. I like it. That's all.

The same is true in the reverse, thousands of people LOVE Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy (both the books and the films), and that's great, good for them.

I've watched the first two of the original films and I couldn't stand them. This isn't me saying they're inherently bad, or that they're poorly conceived; I believe in quite the opposite. I think they're excellent stories, well drawn characters and superbly made films.

I just don't like them.

If you're one of the few people who can determine the good things you enjoy, from the bad things you enjoy, I feel that's a healthy state of mind, you're not kidding yourself by claiming to have perfect tastes in everything, you're accepting you're a human being who is susceptible to all sorts of tripe, along with some excellent media.

So before you go criticising someone for saying "Nicki Minaj is the best!" do what I do, and correct their arses off.

Sorry to have a little go at you, dear reader, in just my second post so to make amends, here's a cat picture.

Bitches love cat pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment