Monday 13 August 2012

Danelectro Guitars

I'm really into my guitars.

I've been playing since my thirteenth birthday and I've been obsessed with them ever since.

When I was fifteen I got a Saturday job at the local music shop (I still work there now whenever I'm not at university) and so I was initiated into a world of guitars, amps, accessories and other such treats (there were many downsides to the job, but the people I worked with and the stock I got to sell made it all worth while). Since starting there I've amassed a collection of nine high quality guitars that I absolutely love and today I'd like to talk to you about my favourite.

Dano Pro in Aqua.
While it's by no stretch the most expensive guitar I have, nor is the best guitar I own, the Danelectro Dano Pro is by far my absolute favourite. It just oozes vintage charm and suits my style of playing down to the ground.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone will love Danelectros but I think they're absolutely incredible instruments, especially given that nowadays, a Dano Pro will set you back just £225 (approx.) - I paid slightly less because I bought mine years ago and I got a staff discount (one of the perks of the job!) and it's served me well over the recent years.

Danelectro was founded in 1947 by Nathan Daniel and began producing solid bodied electric guitars 1954, however these instruments were sold under the brand-name of Silvertone Guitars (some guitars bore the name Airline, a brand name now owned and used by Eastwood guitars). Some of these original models can be found today but many only crop up through auction of eBay and will set the seller back a pretty penny.

Dano '63 in Red-Burst
The modern Danelectro guitars are excellent in terms of embodying that vintage charm they had way back through the 40's, 50's and 60's yet they feature modern equivalents of hardware and pick-ups to eliminate any undesired "vintage" problems.

In regards to staying true to the originals, Danelectro still produces cheap, smaller guitars that sound fantastic and play pretty darn well. The bodies are made out of compressed Masonite and then routed and finished in a range of kitsch vintage colours. My Dano Pro is in aqua, however, I also own a Dano '63 in red-burst.

Both guitars sound fantastic, thanks to their vintage-design "lipstick" pick-ups (so called for the shape of the casing), however, the range of sounds from Danelecto guitars is fairly limited, most feature two pick-ups and a three-way pick up selector, allowing you three types of sound, and feature one volume and one tone knob.

A young Jimi Hendrix playing a
Danelectro '59 Double Cutaway.
For guitarists more used to modern instruments these may come as a surprise, but for those more geared towards a 50's sound this isn't a problem, and besides. Danelectro make a wide range of effects pedals if you really feel the need to alter your sound.

Many professional players have picked up a Danelectro or two in their time; one of Jimi Hendrix's first electric guitars was a Dano and modern players such as E (of Eels fame) and Elvis Costello have both favoured Danelectro over the years.
E playing a Danelectro '56 Pro.

.The very reason Danelectro remains ever popular with players from all genres of music, I believe, is down to the fact they they illicit a certain sense of musical nostalgia, a time when teenagers in their bedrooms int he 50's would listen to the radio and hear the likes of Elvis and Buddy Holly and dream one day of becoming rock and roll stars. Not only do they look cool, sound brilliant and play extremely well, they make the player feel a part of that while simultaneously, looking forward to the future.

They might not be for everybody, but they're certainly for a certain type of player, yours truly being a proud member of that type. So, if you're looking for a new guitar that won't break the bank but will deliver all day long, I reckon Danelectro is a good way to go.

They definitely turn heads as well!

Thanks for reading guys, see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment