Saturday 11 August 2012

Captain America: Patriot

People who know me will probably understand that I do, certainly, enjoy my comic books, thereby, graphic novels are a keen interest of mine.

The other day I went and got a selection out of the local library (many libraries stock a large selection of graphic novels and manga books, it's always worth a look!), among them was the namesake of this post, Captain America: Patriot.

Now, I'm not usually a fan of Captain America but I've often held a passing interest. I viewed the recent film with fanboy glee as they seemed to nail the nuances of war-time propaganda while maintaining the integrity of the character, job well done to all those involved, especially Chris Evans as the walking flag himself.

While the origin of Cap is one I've always related to/idolised I've not been overly interested in the stories after he becomes Captain America. Sure, his transformation from the scrawny, sickly, pale target of bullies and the butt of all jokes, to the butt-kicking, ultra-heroic super-solider we know him to be is a teenage nerd's wet dream, but after that I always lost interest. I guess, growing up in the UK, it was difficult (though not impossible) to feel moved by Captain America.

I've read a few Captain America stories in my time, but none have held my attention as much as this one. Set in during and after World War II it focuses on the exploits of Daily Bugle reporter Jeff Mace and his decision to take up vigilante crime fighting after a chance encounter with Captain America.

He takes up the mantle of "The Patriot" and promptly becomes famous as a homeland protector during the war (Mace was deamed 4-F and was, thus, unfit for service in the army).

In a "Watchmen" style series of events, many other individuals feel inspired by Mace's efforts as The Patriot and join him, forming an early super-team.

Soon enough, however, things turn sour for Mace and, through some rather intriguing and well thought-out events, Mace is called upon to become Captain America. What follows is a nice, rich story, steeped in character and conflict and makes for incredibly believable reading.

All the time I was taken aback by how simple it would've been for events similar to take place because, after all, Super-Heroes of the Patriot, Batman, Nite-Owl sort are nothing more than brave people who put on a mask to do what is right. This seems more poignant and plausible in times of extreme crisis and conflict in the world.

There were some very nice, very well written moments throughout the entire story arc, however, I think my favourite thread of it all is how Mace's Captain America and Namor are constantly at odds with each other, leading to the image on the right, which, I think, must be one of my favourite illustrations of recent years. Especially given that I really don't like Namor.

All in all, a really great, fun little read which has inspired me to A) re-watch Captain America: The First Avenger and B) to pick up some more of his stories and see if I can't find out why people are so besotted with him, I'm sure there's a good reason, and If this book is anything to go by, it sure is a doozy.

I'll be seeing The Dark Knight rises tomorrow afternoon (if all goes to plan) so check back early-evening time to read my thoughts about what appears to be the Jesus of all superhero films.

You can follow me on Twitter if you feel inclined to do so - @Christie_InHall

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment