Tuesday 16 April 2013

(500) Days of Summer

Before we go anywhere with this, I just want to state for the record, that I may, may, MAY be a tiny bit madly in love with Zooey Deschanel, and thus, any attempt to be critical of her work simply fails me and, thus, this will be a bit of a gush fest, but not without cause! Honest.

Got it? Good, glad that's sorted.

Gordon-Levitt & Deschanel - Elevator Scene
I first saw the film years ago and enjoyed it, but I didn't think too much of it. It was only after subsequent viewings that I began to notice all the wonderful layers of detail and humour that lay deep within the heart of the narrative.

And that's what separates this film from other romantic-indy-comedies, (I'm sure that's a thing); the narrative. The story is unique and beguiling in ways that I, a humble male, couldn't possibly have anticipated. In fact, the only reason I agreed to watch it the first time was because of my desire to see Zooey in action.

Luckily, the story, gags and show stopping moments left me utterly speechless and Joseph Gordon-Levitt wormed his way into my heart alongside Deschanel. His mastery of the understated performance is unparalleled. He knows precisely at which moment to twitch his lip or avert his gaze in order to turn the audience into putty in his hands.
Expectations/Reality.

Which is interesting because, ultimately, both the character of Summer and of Tom are inherently unlike-able  He, a cloying, desperate 'Ted Mosby'esque metro-sexual, and she a stone-hearted commitment-phobe that toys with his emotions.

As I said, both are unlike-able, yet it is the incredible deftness of the performances by these two talented actors that allow the audience to empathise and, eventually, warm to these characters. So much so that when we finally come back to where the story starts, on that bench in Angelus Plaza that we're able to feel so much for the non-couple. Finally we understand that image of them both, older and wiser, and we know the utterly heart-shattering events that lead there.

Angelus Plaza.
That's what sets this apart from other romance films.

Whenever I hear people say that they've seen the film for the first time, it's always interesting to hear what they honestly thought of it, most love it, some merely enjoyed it and a few really can't stand it. All, I'm sure, are perfectly valid reactions. It's only when, I feel, you've seen it a few times and understand the depth of craftsmanship that goes into this, that you can truly appreciate it for what it is.

Of course, I could be wrong, it could just be another artsy, indy, romantic comedy.

But then again, there's nothing wrong with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment